Tübingen research centre continues to grow
Gerber Architekten has won the VGV procedure for the extension of the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen. The Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics conducts research into information processing in the human and animal brain. It is part of the Max Planck Campus in Tübingen, where over 1200 employees work and conduct research.
Our expansion concept includes a new institute building and a highly hygienic animal facility. The compact institute building is clearly structured. A foyer hall in the centre is adjoined to the north by the flexibly usable laboratory area and to the south by the office wing arranged around a green inner courtyard. An interior bridge structure provides the connection to the high hygiene animal husbandry and from there to the existing stable building.
The entrance to the main building is located in a visual axis with the old observatory and the planetary park, which merge into one another via a landscape staircase. From the generously glazed foyer as a place for internal communication within the institute, visitors are led to the centre of the campus. This clear and rational structuring and integration represents the core idea of the design.